Social Care Support - Young People

Social Care is personal care and practical support provided to children, young people and adults who need extra support. If you cannot find what you are looking for please contact Essex Carers Network at and we will try to help.

Essex Adult Social Care can be contacted through the following ways. You can also find information on the ECC website at Adult social care contacts | Essex County Council

Contact Adult Social Care

Telephone: 0345 603 7630
Textphone: 0345 758 5592

Monday to Thursday, 8:45am to 5pm
Friday, 8:45am to 4:30pm

Out of hours telephone: 0345 606 1212


For Young People get support from the Children’s Social Care and Family Solutions

If you’re a parent or carer, child or young person and you need support, you can get in touch.

Phone: 0345 603 7627 and ask for the Children’s Line.

Our advisors will listen to your concerns and try to find the right level of support for you and your family.

You can also fill in our online Request for Support form.

You can find out how to make an effective request for support on our examples and guidance page.



How to get the right support using the Care Act

This family recommended guide would be really helpful for families who want to know more about their rights in relation to the Care Act, which includes getting the right support for your family member from social care.

Preparing for Adulthood LogoLogo

PFA factsheet – links between the children and families act and the care act

It can be confusing to families who are caring for a young person (18-25) with a learning disability in relation to the law as they are covered by both the children and families act and the care act this useful factsheet addresses the links between the 2 acts.

Hft's Family Carer Support Service Logo

HFT family carer support service

Hft’s Family Carer Support Service (FCSS) is a free information and support service for family carers with an autistic relative or a relative with a learning disability aged 16 or older living in England. For more information about how they can support you look at  their website.

CarersUK Logo

Carers UK - Carers Assessment Factsheet

Carers UK have produced a helpful factsheet for family carers about having a carers assessment.

Skills for Care Logo

Funding for individual employers for training for their PAs

As an individual employer you can apply for the individual employer funding to train yourself and your personal assistants (PAs) via skills for care.
This funding can be used to cover training costs to develop your skills as an employer, direct costs of completing training/qualifications, hiring replacement support whilst your usual PA is attending training courses and travel.
Applicable to people who employ their own care and support through a personal budget from social care or health (personal health budget) or using your own money (‘self-funder’).
Thinking Ahead Image

Quality of support section in thinking ahead guide

The thinking ahead guide is a resource which supports families to think about and plan for the future and is free to download from their website. Section 8 – keeping an eye on things gives ideas of things to find out and question in relation to the quality of support your relative may be getting.

Skills for Care Logo

Employing personal assistants – a toolkit to help you employ your own PA – Skills for Care

Skills for care have developed an Employing personal assistants toolkit which will help you to think about your responsibilities as an employer, and includes guidance, templates and resources about recruiting, training and managing your team.

Accessing Public Services Toolkit

PFA - Problem solving toolkit - Luke Clements Cerebra document

A problem solving guide to commonly encountered problems: problems commonly experienced by disabled people and carers when trying to access their legal rights to social and health care support services.  The guide is published by Cerebra and written by Luke Clements, illustrated by Gillian Clements and the Scottish law detail written by Donna M Morgan.   This toolkit aims to support people who are encountering difficulties with the statutory agencies and to unpick these problems and to develop effective strategies for resolving them.

Carers assessment if the cared for person is under the age of 18

Request for a young carers assessment


NHS - Personal Health Budgets

A personal health budget is an amount of NHS money that is allocated to support your health and wellbeing needs. If you’re eligible for it, you (or someone who represents you), will work with your local NHS team to plan how you spend the money and get the care you need.

Essex County Council - Support for Children, young People and families

For families caring for young people under 18yrs information will come from the Childrens and families team or the Young People Transitions team